Ramirez #2 student vs new guitars

Updated 5 days ago in Instruments & Gear
2 6 days ago

Greetings all.  I’m a new member.  I played folk guitar during the 70s for a while, self taught.  Now I’m retired, and I am starting to learn classical guitar.  There are so many beautiful guitars out there, but most are out of my price range.  I recently saw a 1970s vintage Ramirez #2 student guitar for sale within my budget.  Within the same price, I’ve looked at an Alhambra 2c used, Cordoba, Yamaha and many others.  I cannot test the Ramirez, and maybe it’s just a romantic thought to have such a vintage model with such a famous name. I know it’s not a concert guitar, but I was hoping for a little guidance in what I should be considering.  Thank you for allowing me as a member.

• Liked by
1 5 days ago

I think there’s a big difference between a Ramirez student model and a concert model. But assuming that vintage model with famous name is less important to you than the instrument’s sound and playability, the best course of action would be to visit as many shops as you can and play as many instruments as you can. If you plan on starting with a teacher, which is a good idea in order to learn classical technique rather than mis-learn it, you would do best to find a teacher first and take him or her with you to shop.

5 days ago

Yes, I understand the extreme difference. A friend of mine has the 1A concert model. The student #2, I found on Ebay, and since I can’t play it, I just wondered if it would be worth the risk to buy it, since it is in the same price range as new beginner guitars like the Cordoba c40, Yamaha, and similar priced guitars. I was betting that the quality of the build from the 60s might still be as good or better than the factory produced guitars available. Thank you so much for the quick reply. Have a great day.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
Loading more replies