18 Hole Tie Block

Updated on December 18, 2016 in Luthier's Corner
5 on December 13, 2016

I did some mock ups of 12 and 18 hole tie blocks. The 12 hole are known for string slippage. I did do some mods to see how that can be resolved, but not sold on my test results just yet. I did mock up some 18 hole samples and tested them. Wow! Makes the 12 hole look like a joke. No slippage what so ever in my mock ups. Very impressed. Might have to start using this design! Standard 6 hole works fine too! 🙂

Fellow luthiers, what are your experience with the 18 hole tie blocks?

• Liked by
1 on December 14, 2016

I have been using them from the beginning, and have not had any problems.  Carbon strings will slip, but a melted ball on the trebles will solve that.  Usually only the high “e” slips.  I like the 18 hole tie block clean look when strings are on.

on December 14, 2016

Do the carbon’s slip on the 18 hole? The melted ball trick is a safety precaution and should never be considered a solution. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on December 15, 2016

The high “e” slips.  it’s pretty small.  You can do a double loop with the tail of the string and it won’t slip. Not necessary with nylon.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on December 17, 2016

That is what I don’t like about the carbons. They are a smaller diameter and slip like crazy.  So they are a problem on the 18 hole as well Waddy? 

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on December 18, 2016

I think that’s what I said.

• Liked by
Cancel
Loading more replies